“To grow in wisdom, age, and favor before God and men.”
The Good Shepherd Catholic Montessori School is dedicated to providing an outstanding education to children ages three to fourteen in a Catholic atmosphere faithful to the Magisterium of the Church. Using the philosophy and techniques of the Montessori approach, including religious education through the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, our goal is to enable each child to develop as a well-integrated human being: spiritually, intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally.
At the Good Shepherd Catholic Montessori we believe…
- Each of us is a child of the Light.
- We walk in the footsteps of the Good Shepherd.
- We respect others, our environment, and ourselves.
- We pursue knowledge and do our best work.
- We are responsible for our own actions.
- We speak the truth in love.
- This is how we love God and love others.
As a community steeped in Montessori philosophy we believe…
- The child is urged from within by basic human tendencies, develops along the Four Planes of Development, and is guided by Sensitive Periods.
- The best environment for learning encourages freedom within limits, is rich with developmental materials for the acquisition of culture, and encourages spontaneous activity.
- Multi-age environments encourage community, connect to the family, and enable children to assume their role in society. Equally important is the opportunity for each child to work at an individual pace.
- The teacher’s role is to scientifically observe the child and act as the dynamic link between the child and the prepared environment.
- The work of an educator is a vocation of love and service to all of humanity, through the child.
- Assessment takes on many forms in the environment and must be integrated, authentic, sensitive, and age-appropriate.
- Parents play a vital role in the education of their children and are their children’s first and primary teacher and catechist.
Educational Curricular Goals
The Good Shepherd Catholic Montessori mission meets the vital educational needs of today’s youth, including:
- Academic excellence
The child will be an active and joyful learner, who thinks critically and masters organizational and academic skills. The child will be supported in reaching his or her full potential.
- Spiritual formation
The child will develop a genuine personal relationship with God through the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Nurtured by a vibrant Catholic culture, the child will live a life of faith, characterized by a strong sense of morality and exercise of the virtues.
- Social responsibility
The child will develop self discipline marked by a strong sense of personal responsibility within an open learning environment. The child will demonstrate courtesy, respect, and cooperation with others and will exercise stewardship of the gift of God’s creation.
- Parental participation
The school will promote the role of parents as the primary educators in the formation and education of the child.
The Good Shepherd Catholic Montessori strives to make its unique educational opportunities affordable to many families who could not otherwise afford a private Montessori education. We accomplish this by carefully controlling tuition costs, offering significant sibling discounts, and working to enlarge an existing scholarship fund.
The Good Shepherd Catholic Montessori serves children of Greater Cincinnati regardless of race, creed, or national origin.